Wednesday 21 May 2014

25 April 2014



Hello again, looks like I am settling into a 2 day routine for chatting to you all! 

 Yesterday, being my birthday was weird. Here I am 2 or 3 hundred klms off the Mexican coast, in the Pacific Ocean and I am in the galley ( kitchen to you) preparing 3 meals a day to 18 ship mates! Now, I don't remember that being in the promotional material; I do all that at home!

Other exotic responsibilities were; cleaning the heads (toilets to you), the galley, the hand rails, cooker, floor.........I  think you get the picture, oh, and washing up and boiling the tea towels. It was like upstairs and downstairs on a yacht!

A birthday cake was made by our chef, Lawrence, who is becoming quite a celebrity around the world. 

My birthday, was hot work , but  in a masochistic  (?sp) sort of way, a very lovely day.

Today I am back upstairs and, with my watch, learning how to race sail this sleek 70 footer.

Helming is definitely an art form. We are flying the C1 kite, it is the lightest of our kites and it is like driving a Ferrari, it  gives the boat a more skittish feel. The theory is that you trim the sail and make best speed. Soooo we have rigged a very fast and skittish kite and are tying to hold a compass course, which the wind, waves and currents are trying their damnedest to stop us achieving. It,s a bit of a fairground ride, but a  hundred times more fun because there isn't a little man telling you that you have been on long enough. Here they won't let you off!!.

Latest on the squid, There are 2 camps, Gareth and Lawrence. Gareth intends to use them as fishing built while Lawrence is designing a new meal for our menu, stuffed squid.! I'm definitely in the Lawrence camp, better a squid in the hand, than a..... You know how it goes.

I need to rest; i have been up since 4am and it"s 14.30,  we are our 6hr daytime watch, which is bliss.  I am back on deck at 15.30.

Love and hugs and keep tuned in. Send me request for info about life on board if I am missing anything out.

Happy sailing 
Gailx


No comments:

Post a Comment