Wednesday 21 May 2014

1st May 2014



10.18hrs and we have been on watch since 06.00hrs and nothing has moved except a few turtles and even they seem to be sleeping!

We have been in this weather system for several days; it is impossible to keep dry, a constant sweat on your body, with no respite. The deck is impossibly hot. Standing on the deck to trim is painful, heat from below and above from the burning sun.

Port watch have come on deck unable to rest below where the temperature has again climbed to 40+*. We are due off watch at 12.00hrs, but there is nowhere to go!

I am Mother's helper today. This entitles me to clean the heads, sweep and wash the floors, and be a general dogsbody. The temperature below will probably be in excess of 40* and it is going to be tough!

I am trying to sponge wash every day, unfortunately this has to be carried out in the heads. These are little sweat boxes and I wonder if I am just wiping away sweat and replacing it with more sweat. I hate to think what colour my shower water will be in Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment