Wednesday 21 May 2014

17th May 2014



I forgot to mention that some the lads wanted to change the watch pattern. Their reasoning is we will be less tired and more able to 'race' sail the boat. And, so, we are in a shift pattern which is killing. From 6pm til 6am we rotate every 3hrs. Then it's every 4 hours until 6 pm, which means we have a very broken night. We are all very tired today, the watch leaders didn't want to change as they believed  it would be too tiring, how right they were.

Still no wildlife. Most of the fleet around us now, we are currently 8th. We went out on a limb and once again the weather predictions were wrong, exactly the same scenario as when we left Panama. The 'rounders' tell me it has been like this all along.

A course is decided by Gareth and we start, then out of the blue he races on deck, changes the sail plan and course. No-one, except Jonathan of course knows what's happening. I haven't mentioned Jonathan ( he who must never be called John)  because  I don't talk to him unless it is something to do with the boat. He is  dirty, unattractive, incredibly rude and a bully.

We have been sitting on the 'high side' for 2 days now and the pain in the butt cheeks is unbearable at times.

I was invited to helm last night which surprised me as it was only supposed to be experienced crew helming to give us our best chance. I didn't let myself down I kept to course and maintained 8 to 10 knots, as good as the others.

It's 10.46am and we may make Jamaica this evening or tomorrow.....who knows, neither our 'glorious leader' nor Jonathan seem to!!

Funny thing this race sailing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment