Thursday 5 June 2014

Leaving Jamaica

28th May 2014

 Since my last blog the roller coaster of life has taken its toll!!

Jamaica was wonderful in so many ways; Russ was on the dock to meet us and I was so happy to see his lovely smiling face. He was like a schoolboy, all full of excitement and anticipation; goodness only knows what a wreck I looked like!

We shared a villa with Matt, Owen and Jim, what fun and good times that was. We breakfasted together most days depending on who had been out or drunk too much the night before, we went to the beach, into town and generally 'hung out' together. We ate dinner around 7pm, often after a pre dinner beer and good conversation which carried on through and after dinner. 
Richard and Lesley came over for dinner one evening, which was fun. We watched a movie and generally chilled in good company.
We had a staff of 3 looking after us, Wayne who waited on us, Lester who cooked and Alma who cleaned and washed anything left on the bedroom floor. I don't know what she made of our smelly sailing clothes!

Russ and I took a road trip into the Blue Mountains one day. We were driving for about 8 hours on  a pretty bad roads, we came home via Kingston,  which is a nightmare to drive through. During our drive we stopped and spoke to people along the way, what a happy culture they are, always smiling and time to exchange views and opinions. Coffee is still a big crop in Jamaica along with fruit. We were told that the coffee farmers have to sell their produce through the government co-operative, which to us seemed a bit less than free enterprise!!

I was in two minds about getting back on Qingdao. The trip down From Panama I found gruelling, the heat was so extreme that I didn't feel I could go through it all again. Well, here I am lying in my bunk in 40+ degrees and having a weak moment and wishing I wasn't here! I take my hat off to the round the worlders!

I have spoken to  most 'worlders' and they all have their own way of coping. Vicky says 'you have to learn to live in your head', I see what she means. The close proximity of people becomes unbearable. Knowing that although you try very hard to maintain basic hygiene standards you are also falling far below anything you would accept in 'normal' life!

But is all that important? they are living their dream to sail around the world. Of course, for me it is a basic necessity and so without it It is difficult!

Our sail to New York. Is taking longer than the longest forecast time! We, once again took a 'flier' out of Jamaica, will it pay off? Who knows? We try to boost moral amongst the crew but many of us have friends and family flying over for the weekend to see us sail into New York. How disappointing most will have left before we get there! I definitely do not know what is going on, arrival dates change with the watches.

We had a nasty incident a coupe of nights ago when Shona took a terrible tumble from the high side. She hurt her shoulder and put some nasty gashes in her arm, she was very shocked and in pain.

At the moment we are on the edge of yet another wind hole, we will find out at midday if we are still last.

I am so sad, I will probably miss Franny in New York, Russ is waiting. This adventure has been tough, soul searching and not what I expected in many ways. It is a marathon roller coaster of emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment