Thursday 5 June 2014

Gareth's Nose!

01 Jjune 2014

02.00, iI have been woken by the sound of shouting and no engine! Gareth is in the galley with a very bloodied, broken nose and  Jonathan with a bleeding head.
The steering broke on the helm and they were in the lazerrette fixing it when the steering rod swung round and got Gareth. We are under way again now. Latest update we are due into New York on the 4th!

Yesterday we motored all day at under 5knts., the frustration really telling on some crew, I was mother watch which was ok. The heat is less intense around 30+ in the galley, a big improvement to 40+.
I was up for my watch at02.00 and off watch at 19.00. I do not do my watch tonight, which would be now, as 'mother' always gets a night in bed. I am quite thankful i missed all the drama.

I have taken up residence in the 'mate's' bunk, nothing is comfortable tonight but I think this is better than most. My 4th change s since  Jamaica. 
On the whole getting on alright, feeling more comfortable with the constant movement of the boat, the personalties and the ebb and flow of life on board. I think there is a gap with the whole 'forming and mourning' process of group dynamics and we are stuck  in the storming phase much too long.

10.15 and all has changed! A new watch routine is the order; 4hrs standby, 4 hers, watch , 8hrs off. So here I am in the galley sitting on standby, watch 1 have just come down and are off to bed, watch 2 on deck, watch 3 (me) on standby watch 4 in bed.

It appears what happened last night was, the chain came off the steering and for an hour we had no steering, Gareth went into the lazerrette to sort it and got whacked in the face by a 'steering pole'.  
10.30 Gareth has cleaned his face a bit, he has a black eye now but not looking too bad with the dried blood gone!

The long and short of this story is, no-one can work out when we will arrive in New York, we are sailing because we don't have enough fuel, which is better because it is faster. A few crew have flights on the 3rd, which they might miss! The stress is telling!
I will have very little time in New York, probably only 1 day, which is a shame. Still I am looking forward to being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment