Wednesday 25 September 2013

Bonding....


Bonding, I soon realised is a big part of sailing; its difficult to say how or when it happens it just does.  The jokes start and your 'all' is bared to the world, literally.  As you attempt to un/dress (with some dignity and fail), the boat is flying / crashing through the waves and you realise all is lost.  "Lost at sea" now has a whole new meaning!

My Waterloo came while on Anchor watch.  Jim and Owen had been on watch for the hour before me and came to wake me for my watch.  It was 1am and I was not at my best, Jim mumbled something to me as I entered the gallery.  "Sorry" I said, he repeated the mumble, "Sorry" I said again, getting very irriated as I tried to manoeuvre into my foulies and life jacket.  He mumbled again, it was then that I realised all semblance of poilte company was gone and before I knoew it the words "F... OFF" tumbled out!!!  They were rolling in the aisles, laughing their heads off and chanting "we did it, we broke her down...."

This was the moment when I knew my hear, my journey had started; I was part of the RTW race team!

At last and sadly, week 1 of training is over.  I am exhausted and exhilarated.  Russ is on the Quayside to meet me holding a brown envelope.  "What's this, divorce papers" I ask?  No, happily a day at the local spa; what a star he is.  Thank you Russ. X 

To Vicky Ellis, Thank you, Fair Winds and Calm Waters' see you in San Fransisco.









No comments:

Post a Comment